Many Americans over the age of 40 suffer from an eye disease or vision disorder. Although they are commonplace, it's important for people to visit an eye doctor if they are experiencing symptoms of vision disorders. One of the most common symptoms of any vision disorder or eye disease is blurry vision. Blurry vision can have a variety of causes, and if left untreated, can grow progressively worse.
If you've been suffering from blurry vision, visit our eye care specialists at Bay Ridge Family Eye Care in Brooklyn, NY. We'll conduct an eye exam to determine the cause of your blurry vision. An optometrist on our team will then determine treatment for your blurry vision so you can start seeing clearly again.
What Causes Blurry Vision?
Blurry vision is commonly caused by a wide range of refractive vision disorders. In order to properly focus light, the cornea and lens of the eye must be perfectly round. This allows them to filter light and produce a clear image.
However, in refractive errors, the cornea or lens is misshapen, leading to difficulty focusing light properly. This leads to blurry vision, which is common with:
- Astigmatism, or an oval-shaped cornea
- Myopia, also known as nearsightedness
- Hyperopia, also known as farsightedness
- Presbyopia, which is farsightedness caused by age
Blurry vision also has a variety of other causes. These include:
- Computer vision syndrome, caused by staring a computer screen for too long
- Dry eyes, which has environmental causes and medical causes that should be treated by an eye doctor
- Keratoconus, an eye disease where the cornea is oval-shaped
- Cataracts, an eye disease where a cloudy layer develops over the eye lens
- Glaucoma, a slow degeneration of the optic nerve
- Diabetic retinopathy, caused by glucose build-up in the eye leading to destruction of the retina
How an Eye Doctor on Our Team Can Help
Due to the many causes of blurry vision, it's important to get the opinion of an eye doctor first and foremost. Your optometry specialist will conduct an eye exam and determine if prescription contact, or eyeglasses are needed to correct your vision. They will also conduct eye care to manage any serious eye diseases that could be causing blurry vision, such as glaucoma or cataracts.
See Clearly with Our Optometry Services
You can find for blurry vision. Visit us at Bay Ridge Family Eye Care in Brooklyn, NY, to get eye care for your blurry vision. Call us at (718) 680-3270 to get an eye exam or our other optometry services.